- Why did you choose to write a dystopian novel?
The story that came to mind was dystopian in nature. And the dystopian genre seems to reflect my personality a bit.
- Do you have any favorite dystopian literature? Authors?
Two of my favorite dystopian novels are Brave New World and Animal Farm. My favorite dystopian author is Orwell.
- Do you foresee any part of your book becoming reality?
I wrote my book using real facts and so yes, I do see parts of it coming to pass right now and in the future.
- Was there a particular event or idea in the real world that inspired your writing?
There was not one particular event or idea, but many that brought the story to mind.
- When writing your book, did you seek to only tell a good story or to get across a specific message?
I certainly tried to do both. I think that all dystopian novels have a moral and my does, but also I hope that the story is good.
- What other genres do you read?
I love British mystery novels and I also read a lot of nonfiction.
- Have you or would you like to write in another genre? Which one?
I would like very much to write a series of mysteries.
- Are you particularly fond of any one of you characters?
I would say that Derek is my favorite character. He’s intelligent, loyal, humble, and self-sacrificing.
- Is there one book, in any genre, that has had a lasting impact on your life? Title. How did it affect you?
Orwell’s 1984 had a real effect on how I view the world. Whenever I see an example of group-think (aka political correctness) I am reminded of this book, and I shudder.